There’s been a lot of heartbreak in Hollywood over the years, but there are some couples (from the red carpet to the TV screens) that I’m still mourning. These couples cross my mind multiple times a week, sometimes everyday, and have brought me to tears. Inspired by Bennifer 2.0’s divorce news, here’s 17 couples I’m still not over (because you can’t just be #RelationshipGoals one day and head to splitsville the next!!!!).
Disclaimer: I’m kind of stuck in the early 2000s.
1. Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck: After 10 years of marriage and 3 kids, these two seemed to have it all. They stole moments together on the red carpet, thanked each other in acceptance speeches and looked happy on their daily Starbucks runs. If that’s not love, what is?
PS: Why couldn’t they just keep working on it? </3
2. Buffy and Angel: A vampire with a soul and a vampire slayer with chemistry that bounced off the screen working together to save the world? Sign me up forever and ever and ever.
3. Seal and Heidi Klum: There was something about these two that just screamed “down to earth.” Their kids were beautiful and their Halloween costumes were epic, and I can’t watch Project Runway reruns without thinking about Seal crying somewhere (and then getting Love’s Divine stuck in my head).
4. Tim Riggins and Lyla Garrity: Talk about one of the most gorgeous TV couples of all time. Bad boy Rigs and church girl Lyla had one of the best back and forth dynamics on the small screen, and actually made each other better. Plus, if you want 38752058 reasons why it made no sense that Tyra and Tim ended up together, call me.
5. Nick Lachey and Jessica Simpson: I think it’s safe to say Newlyweds: Nick & Jessica is the best TV show of all time. Nick’s sarcastic comments and Jessica’s stupidity made for A+ banter, and I’m just #thankful the episodes are on YouTube.
6. Rory Gilmore and Jess Mariano: I have a lot of mixed feelings about Rory’s life love, but when Jess comes back in season 6 with his life together and Logan is being annoying AF, I wanted nothing more than the two of them to get back together. They have the most in common, they have the most chemistry and he’s the hottest of her three dudes. #RealTalk
7. Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling: While I’m excited that Regina George is dating Tim Riggins, I think everyone would enjoy seeing the stars of The Notebook together IRL again. Can’t they just kiss in the rain and pretend to be birds again? Or show us their “better” love story on a reality show?
8. Serena van der Woodsen and Nate Archibald: #SorryNotSorry, but Dan and Serena were dysfunctional and got old after season two. S and Nate had a great friendship that turned into a super hot relationship, and they just made sense. Two people that dress that well and have hair that gorgeous should be together.
9. Vanessa Hudgens and Zac Efron: Baby V and Zac should be married with two kids by now. And I seriously think these two just sung it out High School Musical style everything would be OK.
10. Emma Nelson and Sean Cameron: Watching Emma and Sean date in middle school and then find each other again in high school was pure magic. I’m a sucker for a classic bad boy/ innocent girl story, and I straight up refuse to believe Emma stayed married to Spinner longer than 20 minutes.
11. Minka Kelly and Derek Jeter: No one was good enough for my boyfriend until Minka cried when Derek got his 3,000 hit. I thought they were forever when she rode with him in the World Series parade and made a cameo in his HBO documentary. There were a lot of rumors this duo was getting married, and I blame the media for exposing their plans and Derek’s desire for privacy for breaking them up.
12. DJ Tanner and Steve: I’m #nervous to watch the Full House spinoff, Fuller House, because the father of DJ’s kids isn’t Steve! This is the first couple I “shipped,” and when Steve showed up to take DJ to her prom in the finale, I just assumed they lived happily ever and added an extension onto Danny’s house for their first apartment.
13. Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake: Every time Britney goes through another breakup, I want Justin to ditch Mary Camden and call Britney Bitch. The duo could go on a reunion tour together and simply make the world a better place.
14. Brooke Davis & Lucas Scott and Peyton Sawyer & Jake Jagielski: I low-key understand why One Tree Hill ended the way it did, but after watching Lucas pine for Brooke and then Lindsey, I just can’t get excited about his relationship with Peyton. Jake treated P. Sawyer way better than Lucas ever did, and B. Davis brought out the romance and less annoying characteristics in Luke.
15. Amy Poehler and Will Arnett: I was always Team Amy and Will because they are both super funny comedians and I pictured their kids growing up laughing nonstop and running around backstage at SNL. After I read Amy’s book, which she wrote post-divorce, I realized how upset I am they didn’t make it work.
16. Brenda Walsh & Dylan McKay and Kelly Taylor & Brandon Walsh: Dear Kelly/BH 90210 writers, Brenda had Dylan first and they were more in love than you and Dylan ever were. Plus, Brandon brings out the best in you and keeps you grounded. Please let me know if you have figured this out yet.
17. Khloé Kardashian and Lamar Odom: Even though Lam Lam ended up being a totally druggie, Khloé has never been as happy as she once when she was with him. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t holding out hope that he was going to turn his life around and Khloé and Lamar would get a season 3.